Grandview Acres -
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

What's new? Find out here!
Updating a bit

August 2011
July 2011
June 2011

powered by

My Blog

The Yeast Police

Follows is a copy/paste of the article that ran on 4/16/13 in the Greeneville Sun, as written by Allison Adams. Forgive the formatting, it did not survive the pasteover. For easier reading, try clicking this link.http://tinyurl.com/cnxmsfb

Here’s the problem: Inever met a loaf of homemadebread I didn’t like.When I’m with a loaf ofhomemade bread, I give itmy undivided attention.I know it’s important towork quickly to compensatefor the lack of preservatives.Because of my propensity to loiter at the bottomof the food pyramid, when I decided I needed lose afew (20) pounds and signed up on Weight Watchers,I was nearly forced to quit fraternizing with breadaltogether.As the months went by, we kept in touch, but it justwasn’t the same.I can’t be in a casual relationship with bread.I prefer an exclusive relationship.It’s all or nothing.Then last week, Julie Fannon broke my concentrationon the upper levels of the food pyramid when shegave me a gift of a freshly-baked loaf of sweet sourdoughfrom Grandview Acres.It was the biggest loaf of homemade sourdoughbread I’ve ever laid eyes upon.It was soft.It was golden.It was perfect.It was love at first sight – and also first smell.It just so happened that I was heading out-of-townon a beach vacay with some dear friends who are selfproclaimedfoodies – and with whom I cannot hold acandle in that department – so naturally I brought myloaf of sweet sourdough along.When we arrived at our destination and my friendsunpacked their kitchen goodies, it went a little likethis:“I brought these amazing tuna steaks from the localfish market. I will sear them and serve them overtender baby greens and finish it with a fresh sesameginger vinaigrette dressing.”“I brought a couple of bottles of wine that I’ve beensaving since 2008. I picked them up on my wine-tastingtrip in the Napa Valley, and I’ve been saving themfor a special occasion.”“I brought several selections of imported gourmetcoffee beans – fair trade, of course – roasted to perfection,and preserved in these vacuum-sealed containers.I also brought along my professional precision coffeebean-grinder so I can grind the beans into the perfectconsistency right before we’re ready to brew the coffee,ensuring the absolute freshest taste possible!”My foodie friends looked over at me expecting me tounveil my usual – a can of cheese whiz and a bag ofpork rinds – but instead I held up my loaf of homemadesweet sourdough by the neck of the plastic bag in whichit was wrapped and said, “I brought this.”Their jaws hit the floor, and suddenly I was the mostpopular person in the room.Never underestimate the power of a loaf of homemadebread.I let them take turns fondling the loaf and inhalingits sweet aroma, but I never completely turned looseof the neck of the plastic bag in which it was wrappedbecause … well, because my momma didn’t raise nofool.My friends surrounded me and asked what my planswere for the sourdough loaf.“Ummmm. Well … I just thought we’d eat it.”They unanimously approved of my plan.We agreed to ration the loaf to make it last as longas possible.On our first morning, after we brewed a pot of freshly-ground fair-trade gourmet coffee, I took my post asthe Yeast Police and watched carefully as everyone tookturns slicing a respectable piece of sourdough to slideinto the toaster.When I heard all the yummy noises my pals madeand noticed that everyone’s eyeballs rolled into the backof their head as they devoured the deliciously sweetslice of toast, I decided I could not let down my guard.I brought that loaf of bread along everywhere we wentso I could keep an eye on it.It sat on the beach with us.It occupied a spot on the deck chair when we gatheredoutside to play cards.It rode in the car with us when we went shopping.I laid it on the big leather ottoman in the center of ourliving room while we watched TV.If you look closely, you will see that it appears in severalof our vacation photos.I am not making this up.When it was evident that the end was near, my foodiefriends and I simply passed the bag of bread around,taking turns at pinching off a piece of perfection, untilthe last crumb was gone.Best. Beach. Trip. Ever.Allison Adams lives with her husband in an emptynest in Greeneville, where she tries to look busy andmaintain the speed limit. Her column is publishedevery other Tuesday. Adams can be reached at adams.smallworld@gmail.com.

22 Comments to The Yeast Police:

Comments RSS
shelia gilbraith on Saturday, April 05, 2014 8:45 PM
Thank you for the fabulous bread bowls!! They were a big hit with everyone.

men casual jackets on Monday, August 21, 2017 2:02 AM
After read a couple of the articles on your website these few days, and I truly like your style of blogging. I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think.

college writing essay on Monday, August 21, 2017 2:18 AM
There need aid a considerable measure from claiming beneficial assets here. I am certain i will visit this spot once more Concerning illustration quickly. I customized in your post; you have imparted useful insights Furthermore encounters. Keep it up.

uk essay on Saturday, April 07, 2018 1:50 AM
It is in point of fact a nice and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

olymptrade on Monday, May 21, 2018 5:26 AM
Much obliged to you for peopling get the data they require. Extraordinary stuff of course. Keep up the colossal work!!!

storspelare casino on Friday, June 01, 2018 9:49 AM
It is an incredible motivating force for first time players on a site to look at their administrations.

Lentils on Sunday, July 01, 2018 2:05 PM
I am genuinely thankful to the holder of this web page who has shared this wonderful paragraph at at this place

Benefits of Zucchini on Monday, July 02, 2018 2:06 AM
Wow what a Great Information about World Day its exceptionally pleasant educational post. a debt of gratitude is in order for the post.

Benefits of Watermelon on Monday, July 02, 2018 2:11 AM
I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot!

Benefits of Broccoli on Monday, July 02, 2018 2:15 AM
Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog.

Benefits of Spirulina on Monday, July 02, 2018 2:19 AM
Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.

loemrntdherid1 on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:56 AM
Please keep it up!

Dwayne on Friday, July 20, 2018 3:14 AM
Very good article with very good informative links. I have visited these links and got very useful knowledge from it.Thanks and carry on sharing it. Get Rubber gym flooring for home usage

free steam wallet code on Friday, July 27, 2018 2:25 AM
Hey friends if you are using steam wallet then must try my link to get lots of steam codes for free.

ojo on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:05 PM
their site as the opposition among free gambling club diversions sites is becoming bigger nowadays.

cresus on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:20 AM
To begin with, it gives you a chance to become acquainted with your clients better and hear the inquiries they ask and issues they confront.

Highlow on Monday, September 17, 2018 1:02 PM
It likewise requires the broker to work with a shade amount of information.

loegmrntdherid1 on Saturday, December 01, 2018 4:54 AM
your post is very useful, I am truly happy to post my note on this blog.

koank on Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:27 AM
rang bisa memanggil Dasha. Awalnya dia terus tersingglink 5 distributor plat high tensile sm490ya distributor plat kapal distributor plat stainless ss304 distributor plat stainless ss310 distributor plat stainless ss316 distributor plat sumihard distributor round bar besi aisi 440s45c distributor round bar scm440 distributor steel rail distributor steel sheet pile jual astm a283 c undangan pernikahan kalender Jual besi hollow Jual besi hollow Toko besi siku Toko pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 undangan pernikahan bentuk tas Supplier Besi H beam Agen Wiremesh Besi baja Jual plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton master steel ms Supplier besi hollow Supplier besi hollow Toko pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Toko besi hollow undangan pernikahan ada fotonya Supplier Besi Beton Toko Wiremesh Besi baja Supplier plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton ksty Toko besi hollow Toko besi hollow Toko Plat besi Toko besi beton Sni Ulir Polos undangan pernikahan aneh www.sentrabesibaja.com Jual Wiremesh Besi baja Toko plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton krakatau steel Agen besi hollow Agen besi hollow Toko besi h beam Toko besi wf baja undangan pernikahan amplop Pabrik Welded Beam T beam King Queen Cross Castellated Beam Harga Wiremesh Besi baja Agen plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton jcac Pabrik besi hollow Pabrik besi hollow Toko besi wf Toko besi unp undangan pernikahan batik Pabrik Bondek Cor Pabrik Wiremesh Besi baja Pabrik plat kapal besi baja Pabrik besi beton interworld steel is Distributor pipa besi Distributor pipa besi Toko wiremesh Toko besi siku undangan pernikahan murah Pabrik Atap Spandek Sni Distributor Besi Siku Baja

Avengers Endgame Thor jacket on Monday, July 01, 2019 7:21 AM
Pretty cool post. It’s really very nice and useful post. Keep it up!!

Captain Marvel Jacket on Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:47 AM
It's always exciting to read articles from other writers and practice something from their web sites.

adam on Thursday, August 01, 2019 8:27 PM
Download music paradise pro app for android and Enjoy to download Unlimited Music in your Android phone.